How To Write Compare And Contrast EssayHWA
What exactly is a compare and contrast essay? Simply put, it’s an essay evaluating the similarities and variations between two subjects. These subjects are going to be within the same class, however completely different. You might compare two completely different forms of pets, or two novels from a similar historical fundamental measure. Maybe you’re thinking that writing an essay concerning only one subject is difficult enough. Where does one even begin with a coherent essay concerning two topics? No worries. Here is a guide to writing a good compare and contrast essay.
Choose your subject(s).
Remember that your two subjects should diverge, however still within the same way, to create a meaningful compare-and-contrast essay. For example, if you wish to jot down two completely different historical figures, it makes sense to choose two great artists rather than an artist and a politician.
Brainstorm similarities and differences.
Make two lists: one list of similarities, and another of variations. If you’re a visual person, a diagram will facilitate this method. Simply produce two overlapping circles, one for every of the topics that you simply are examination. Traits that disagree are noted on an individual basis, while the shared traits are written within the overlapping area. This is a useful visual aid, as a result of it organizes similarities and variations clearly. All you’ve got to try is to look at your diagram to induce the points that you simply might write on. If you favor to specialize in one subject at a time, jot your lists down on a blank sheet of paper and flip it over to the opposite aspect for the other subject. Remember the characteristics of the various subjects. This will make it easier to structure an honest argument.
Hone in on your main argument.
A good compare-and-contrast essay goes on to straightforward listing of similarities and variations to create a significant statement. When you explore the lists you’ve created, what strikes you as significant? What do these similarities and variations say concerning the topic? That will be your main argument.
Decide on your organizational structure. There are several potentialities for structuring a compare-and-contrast essay. You could write on one subject thoroughly, and so switch to the opposite.
Write an outline.
Craft an overview that matches the structure you’ve got chosen. Traditionally, an essay consists of an introductory paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Consider body paragraphs instead to grant balance to your two subjects.
Fill in supporting evidence.
As you start to jot down your essay, copy your assertions with proof from analysis, reading, or personal expertise. If you’re examining cats and dogs, use personal anecdotes concerning friends and their pets to bolster your arguments. If you’re writing concerning similarities and variations between the poetry of Shakespeare and Keats, embrace many quotes from their poems to support your statements. With any info that you simply embrace, make certain to clarify why it matters within the context of your larger argument.
Craft your essay with strong transitional words.
Transitional words provide your essay a pleasant is due one statement to consequent. When examination, use words like “both,” “likewise” and “similarly.” Words like “nonetheless,” “on the opposite hand,” and “whereas” are ideal for forming a distinction.
Proofread and revise carefully.
Once you’ve got finished, scan your essay many times to see orthography, grammar, and punctuation. Make use of spell check and synchronic linguistics check tools in your data processing program. If doable, get an acquaintance to solid a contemporary try of eyes thereon to search out mistakes you may have lost. We often have problem reading our own work objectively and might miss silly mistakes.
Follow these steps, and write a compare-and-contrast essay that can’t fail to impress your reading audience.
TOPICS FOR WRITING:
Choose one of the essay topics below, and write a comparison or contrast essay. For the four remaining topics, write a thesis statement for each.
- Compare or contrast two musical styles, such as classical and contemporary reggae.
- Compare or contrast two restaurants or clubs.
- Compare or contrast doing research at the library with doing research on the Internet.
- Compare or contrast living on campus with living off campus.
- Compare or contrast raising children in a city and raising children in a small town.
Compare and Contrast Characters in Beowulf and The Niebelungenlied
Compare and Contrast Tragedy and Comedy
- Modigliani and Picasso
- Mozart and Salieri
- Vegetarians and meat eaters
- Humanities-minded and Mathematically-minded
- Extroverts and Introverts
- Fatalist and Voluntarism
- Orthodox and Catholicism
- Democracy and Totalities
- Generation Y and Generation Z
- Qualities of bad and good teachers;
- Public vs. private colleges;
- Being famous or being wealthy;
- Compare your current home and a house of your dreams;
- Traditional vs. online education;
- Decide whether Barack Obama or Thomas Jefferson was a better president;
- Harry Potter vs. The Lord of the Rings;
- Religion or common things of Orthodox and Catholic churches;
- Creationism vs. Darwinism.
- Similarities of Donald Trump and Margaret Thatcher;
- Facebook vs. Twitter;
- Apple vs. Samsung;
- Introverts or extroverts;
- Oxford or Harvard;
- Real-life or online dating;
- EBooks or textbooks;
- Sense and Sensibility vs. Pride and Prejudice;
- Differences between Allah’s and Jesus’ teachings.
- Working at home or in the office;
- Common things between high schools and colleges;
- Similarities between human beings and chimps;
- If you choose white or black colors;
- American and Australian English;
- Plato and Socrates;
- Differences and similarities between Roman & other ancient myths;
- Sociology vs. psychology;
- TV or newspapers;
- If you prefer Washington or England;
- Fiction or non-fiction books.
- Popularity of Pepsi and Coke;
- Communism vs. capitalism;
- Working in a huge corporation or in startups;
- KFC vs. McDonald’s;
- Differences between Baroque and Renaissance;
- Burgers vs. vegetarian meals;
- The convenience of laptops and tablets.