You are a new IT security professional for a small police department. At first you did not see your agency as being a large target for attacks. However, the city recently appointed a new and very controversial police chief. Following the appointment of the new police chief, you discovered a plain text file in the root of the C: drive on a server that said “hacked by the KDC.”
You have reported this to your immediate supervisor, who has assigned you to perform a penetration test on the agency’s network and to perform a vulnerability assessment. Although you strongly agree with your supervisor and realize that such measures are necessary, you believe that it would be much more appropriate to outsource this to a security consulting firm.
To fulfil your supervisor’s initial request, you are preparing to perform a preliminary network penetration test on your agency’s network. However, you prefer to take an automated approach and are wondering if such network penetration tools exist.
A. Create a multimedia presentation (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) (suggested length of 15–20 slides) explaining why the vulnerability assessment for the police department’s network should be outsourced by doing the following:
Note: The slides in your presentation should include only the main points you wish to make, with more extensive information included in the presenter notes section of the presentation.
1. Explain the difference between a penetration test and a vulnerability assessment.
2. Identify the steps that should take place in a vulnerability assessment.
3. Discuss the risks involved in conducting an internal vulnerability assessment.
4. Present the steps your agency should take to conduct a vulnerability assessment with a third party, including legal considerations such as applicable laws and ramifications of ill effects or discoveries of the vulnerability assessment.
a. Justify the legal considerations you presented.
5. Include presenter notes for each slide.
The scenario belongs to Computer Science and it is about networking security, penetration testing and vulnerability testing. In this scenario, a computer science professor seeks permission of the police department to hack their server and check whether or not the server has firewalls strong enough to withstand an intruder’s attacks in a Powerpoint presentation.
Total Word Count NA
Download Full Solution
If you are here for the first time, you can request for a discount coupon, which can knock off upto 20% of the quoted price on any service.