Presentation on the Steps a Criminal Defendant May Go Through in the American Criminal Justice System
Analysis and Application: Explain the Steps a Criminal Defendant May Go Through in the American Criminal Justice System
The following case study presents issues related to the steps a criminal defendant may go through in the American criminal justice system from arrest through sentencing.
You have just been hired as a lawyer at a small criminal defense firm. On your first day, Robert Crook enters the office and asks to speak to an attorney. All of the other lawyers are at lunch so you speak to Mr. Crook. Mr. Crook states that he is worried about being arrested for an armed robbery of a gas station that occurred the night before. Mr. Crook explains the following to you after you assure him that anything he tells you will be protected under the attorney-client privilege.
Mr. Crook states that he has been out of work and owes money for gambling debts; that he was desperate for money and robbed a gas station last night located a couple of blocks from his house. Mr. Crook states that he used a BB gun but admits that it looks like a real gun. Mr. Crook took a total of $130.00 during the robbery. Mr. Crook states that he was not wearing a mask and that the attendant got a good look at his face. This morning, Mr. Crook heard that officers had stopped by his apartment looking for him. Mr. Crook tells you that the only person at the apartment this morning was his 13 year old nephew. Mr. Crook did not know whether the 13 year old let the police in or if the police forced themselves in, but states that the police found the BB gun he used under Mr. Crook’s bed. Mr. Crook wants to know what is going to happen to him should he be arrested—from arrest to sentencing. Mr. Crook has no experience with the criminal justice system and has never been arrested before.
Please prepare a PowerPoint® presentation as follows:
• Include a minimum of ten (10) slides (excluding cover and reference slide).
• As Mr. Crook’s lawyer, explain the advice you will give him both pre-arrest and post-arrest.
• Identify all major steps you will take to prepare a defense for Mr. Crook, including investigation of evidence and witnesses, should Mr. Crook be arrested for a felony such as armed robbery.
• Explain to Mr. Crook the pre-trial process and any motions you would file on his behalf (including your reasoning for filing these motions).
• Describe to Mr. Crook his trial options.
• If this case goes to trial, discuss with Mr. Crook the possible sentence he could face based upon a review of your own state’s criminal laws.
• Define key legal terms to Mr. Crook so he has an understanding of the legal principles involved.
• Cite all legal authority used in giving advice to Mr. Crook.
The question belongs to Law and it is a Powerpoint Presentation on the analysis and application that explains the steps that a criminal defendant will go through in the American Criminal Justice System. The case is about Mr. Robert Crook who has committed a crime and as his lawyer you need to prepare defence against your client.
Total Word Count NA
Download Full Solution