We will be conducting a meta-analysis to investigate whether surgery (cystectomy) combined with radiotherapy has a survival benefit (measured at 3-years) compared to radiotherapy alone for patients with bladder cancer.
- Conduct a keyword search in (ovid) Medline (untick “Map Term to Subject Heading”) using the following search terms:
Combine these with an ‘and’ command. Present your search results in a table showing the number of studies found at each step.
- Your search above should have found one study only. Extract the data from this study to be included in the meta-analysis. Hint: we want to look at 3 year survival comparing the two arms of the trial.
- There were two other studies found that investigate three year survival, their results are shown in the following table:
Table1: Extracted data from two studies found via other searches
3 year survival Cystectomy Radiotherapy
Survived Total Survived Total
Miller 1977 18 35 7 32
Sell 1991 39 88 31 95
Calculate the study specific odds ratios comparing survival for cystectomy with survival for radiotherapy. Then calculate the Mantel-Haenszel pooled odds ratio.
- Further analysis finds an I-squared = 0.0%. Is your analysis in part c) appropriate?
- Interpret your pooled odds ratio from part c). A test was conducted to see if the pooled odds ratio is significantly different form 1 and this test has a p-value = 0.0011, use this information to help with your interpretation.
This question belongs to statistics and discusses about a meta-analysis to investigate whether surgery (cystectomy) combined with radiotherapy has a survival benefit (measured at 3-years) compared to radiotherapy alone for patients with bladder cancer.
Word count: 441
Download Full Solution