Intrinsic and Extrinsic Factors Influence Expression of Defensive Behavior in Plains Hog-Nosed Snakes
Read this paper and answer the given questions:
Durso, A.M. & Mullin, S.J. (2013). Intrinsic and extrinsic factors influence expression of defensive behavior in plains hog-nosed snakes (Heterodon nasicus). Ethology, 120(2), 140- 148. doi: 10.1111/eth.12188
- What anti-predator behaviour was examined in this study?
- What specific hypotheses were tested by the authors?
- What specific predictions were tested regarding this behaviour?
- What conclusion(s) did the authors make about their predictions?
- How did the anti-predator behaviour of adult female H. nasicus differ from juvenile and adult males? List one possible explanation for this difference. What statistical evidence from the paper supports this explanation?
- What was the effect of microhabitat on the observed anti-predator behaviour? Describe one possible confounding variable with this finding, as mentioned by the authors.
Summary: This question belongs to ethology and discusses about an article on animal behavior.
Total word count: 370
Download Full Solution