Design a tube and shell heat exchanger for the fluids and duty and complete Project Management tasks as detailed below.
- The overall pressure drop for each fluid should not exceed 10% of that fluid's inlet pressure.
- The hot fluid goes through the tubes, and the cold fluid through the shell.
- The design must include specification of the number of tubes required, and the number of tube passes. You need not go into detail as to the arrangement of baffles on the shell side.
- You may assume the use of tubes of the following specification: length 8.0 m, internal diameter 0.025 m, external diameter 0.027 m, material carbon steel.
- Assume shell-side heat transfer coefficient is a constant: hs = 1500 Wm-2K-1
- Ignore contribution of fouling, and assume the tube itself has negligible resistance to heat transfer. Thus 1/U = 1/ht + 1/hs
The question belongs to Chemical Engineering and the question deals with a project design and development of a tube and shell heat exchanger for fluids and duty. The solution has the design and the specifications for the project.
Total Word Count 900
Download Full Solution