For this assignment you will have to prepare a paper that critically discusses how organizations apply the strategic use of IS/IT to achieve competitive advantage. Some aspects and issues you may discuss in your paper could include (but are not limited to):
• Cite at least two successful and two unsuccessful examples of the use of IS/IT for gaining or enhancing competitive advantages.
• Highlight some success factors.
• What are some lessons learned?
• What are some internal (e.g. organizational, individual, and management factors) and external factors (e.g. market, industry, social, economic, technological and political/policy factors influencing the success or failure of organizations' attempts at gaining and enhancing competitive advantages? Are internal factors more important than external factors? Or the other way around?
• Can IS/IT give organizations competitive advantages? Can gained competitive advantages be sustained? How/Why? You should apply relevant knowledge discussed in your unit.
You should prepare for this assignment by reviewing the literature (i.e. by using ProQuest 5000 database at http://www.scu.edu.au/library/index.php/) and searching the World Wide Web (i.e. via Google). You should show evidence that you have read at least 15 references, which must be published after January 2008, in the literature (including references from academic and professional publications) to prepare this assignment. A variety of references are expected including books, refereed journals, case studies, newspapers, magazines and electronic references.
The question belongs to Computer Science and it is a report on how critically important is IT/IS is for a company’s strategy. The strategic uses of IT such as increased efficiency, increasing business value, gaining competitive advantage over business rivals, etc and more have been discussed in detail in the solution.
Total Word Count 2542