Aakifah Al Mukhtar is a Muslim who at the age of 80 was recently admitted to the Golden Days Nursing Home. She has Parkinson’s Disease and early stage Parkinson’s dementia. Her son is her main support person and is very worried that his mother’s culture, religion and beliefs are attended to in the home. Analyse the following interactions between the admitting enrolled nurse and the family and explain in 100 words or less if the nurse’s response is effective , the type of communication technique used by the nurse and how your response might differ . In your answers consider communication techniques such as clarification, paraphrasing, personal space, active listening, empathy, assertive techniques and the use of touch and silence.
1. Son: I am terribly worried about my mother, once I leave her here alone. Who will know what she needs and will her wishes be respected? Nurse: I understand your concerns. Could you tell me more about your Mother and how she likes things done? Respond to this interaction and state whether effective communication strategies have been used by the nurse and how you would respond?
2. Aakifah – I don’t want to stay here, I’m frightened – there are bugs all over the ceiling. Nurse: Don’t be so silly, they are only spots on the ceiling. (She then gives Aakifah a big hug and Aakifah cringes and starts to cry). Respond to this interaction and state whether effective communication strategies have been used by the nurse and how you would respond?
3. Son: I don’t think my mother trusts you yet. I want to talk to a man about my mother – you don’t know anything. Nurse: How dare you talk to me like that! It’s me or no one! Respond to this interaction and state whether effective communication strategies have been used by the nurse and how you would respond?
4. How would you make Aakifah feel comfortable, using nonverbal communication (discuss at least 3 points)
5. How would you make Aakifah feel comfortable, using verbal communication (discuss at least 3 points)
6. How would you establish an effective nurse patient relationship with Aakifah. (discuss both social and psychological barriers to communication)
7. Discuss the communication techniques you would use to engage Aakifah’s son in a discussion centred on his feelings and thoughts(discuss at least 3 points)
8. Discuss the communication techniques you would use to offer solutions and guidance to Aakifah’s son (discuss at least 2 points)
9. It what situations would you use open ended questions with a patient (provide at least 2 examples and an example of an open ended questions)
10. It what situations would you use closed questions with a patient (provide at least 2 examples and an example of a closed question)
11. Discuss the term "Active Listening" (provide at least 1 example)
12. What constitutes effective communication in nursing? (List at least 6 points and provide an example of each).
The question belongs to Nursing and it is a case study about effective communication between patient, nurse and relatives. In this particular case study, an 80 year old lady is admitted into a nursing home by her concerned son. The conversation between the mother, the son and the nurse have been given and effective communication methods have been suggested.
Total Word Count 2207
If you are here for the first time, you can request for a discount coupon, which can knock off upto 20% of the quoted price on any service.