A double- effect evaporator is to be designed to concentrate a 5.0% (mass) NaOH solution to 30%. Steam is available at 3300F, 77.3 psia and the condensing temperature of the vapor from the lowest pressure effect is 1800 F. an initial guess for the T of the first effect results in the values shown below:
Determine the information as required below. Fill in results on the diagram, but show work:
- Mass fraction NaOH in the liquid leaving the first effect and flows of process streams (L’s and V’s), assuming equal vapor rates from each boiler.
- Boiling temperature of solutions in each effect and boiling point elevation (note that the saturation temperature of water is given for condensing vapor streams).
- Enthalpies of liquids (gray boxes) and vapors.
- Heat transfer rate in each effect (Q1 and Q2)
- Amount of steam required
- Heat transfer area required for each effect if the overall heat transfer coefficient is 400 BTU/(ft2 hr 0F) in each effect.
Summary: This question belongs to heat transfer and discusses about a double- effect evaporator which is designed to concentrate a solution.
Answer is in image format
Download Full Solution